Call Now: 1300 857 918
This nationally recognised short course will give you the skills and knowledge to operate a 4WD vehicle on unsealed roads and recover a vehicle using a range of recovery methods and equipment. Reach out to us today to register your interest.
Upcoming WorkshopsThere are currently no available openings for this course.
Prior to enrolling into one of our courses, we encourage you to please read through our policies, procedures and Learner Handbook. We ask that you do this so that you are aware of your rights, responsibilities and obligations.
Course Delivery – NSW
This course consists of two units of competency delivered via our blended mode of delivery:
- FWPCOT3325 Operate four wheel drive vehicle on unsealed roads
- FWPCOT3326 Recover four wheel drive vehicle
Learners will need access to an internet-connected computer or smart device to complete an online application form and knowledge-based assessments prior to attending the face to face practical. The practical will take place over 2 days.
Access to the online course content will be provided once your online application has been completed and payment received.
It is vital that you are punctual and prepared for your course as we will be travelling to a remote location. You will need to bring lunch, snacks and water for each day of training. You may get dirty in the course, so we recommend bringing spare clothing and checking the weather to appropriately plan.
The delivery location will be: Zig Zag Railway, 840 Chifley Road, Clarence NSW 2790.
Other State or Territory Delivery
Interested in course delivery outside of NSW? Please contact us on 1300857918 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learners are required to hold a current open or provisional vehicle licence to undertake this training. A copy of your licence must be provided as part of your application.
It is important to note that four wheel drive units of competency require a level of physical ability and fitness to meet the evidence requirements for the assessments. It is a requirement that you are physically and mentally capable of performing ‘actual’ vehicle set up, driving and vehicle recovery. Performing these skills requires psychological control, muscular and skeletal strength and coordination, and normal breathing function.
Upon completion of this course you will have learned the following:
- Accessing, interpreting, and applying relevant vehicle manufacturer information to assess suitability for use, including the use of rated and non-rated recovery equipment
- Identifying the structural and handling differences between a conventional two-wheel drive vehicle and a four-wheel drive vehicle
- Determine type of driving and recovery operation and ensure safe operating conditions and protection of the environment
- Identify, fit and use suitable personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Perform pre-start checks
- Establish and check communication with others, including during convoy procedures and vehicle recovery operations
- Secure loads according to safety, environmental and regulatory requirements
- Research weather and topography for planned trips on unsealed roads
- Be aware of ready to enact emergency and extraction procedures as required
- Perform two (2) safe kinetic rope or strap recoveries, one with a single strap, one with two straps connected together
- Perform three (3) safe winch recovery using a single line, a double line pull with snatch block and pulley ring, and a change of direction pull using snatch block and pulley ring.
- Clean, inspect, and store for next use, all equipment, completing all required maintenance, safety, logbook and recovery records
Our Operate and Recover 4WD course is capped at 10 learners, with a minimum of 5 learners in attendance.
In the event that the course minimum numbers have not been reached, we will contact all enrolling learners at least 5 days before the practical start date to either postpone the practical or reduce its duration to a singular day.
Group Bookings Available
If you would like to organise a group booking for your organisation, please send through an enquiry below. We will travel to your location to conduct the onsite training. Bookings are subject to minimum numbers and practical dates will be negotiated to run at a time and days that best suit you.
The total course investment is $810. Please ensure that you have read our Fees and Refunds Policy and Procedure.
Note that costs for travel, food and accommodation are not included in the course fee above. These are additional costs incurred by the learner.
Please reach out if you are interested in booking into this course and please include your location as this will assist us with your enquiry.
Looking forward to hearing from you!